Strengths and Weakness in Communicating

Hi guys, I am Wee Zhen Yang. Today I am going to touch on the topic communication.
What is Communication?
Communication is a basic form of relating with others and expressing your views and opinions. There are many forms of communication. They can be in form of gestures or words or body language.
Strength
 My strengths in communication is being able to read in between the lines of what people say when they are talking to each other and sense emotions within their words may it be negative or positive, I try to shift how to convey what I feel to them as not to offend them or cause any conflict between myself and others. I am also good in presenting in ways for example, always keeping in eye contact when presenting to an audience to show my interest in them, using a lively voice to liven the mood in the room, prompting the audience with questions which makes them think of different scenarios which could happen and try to overcome them.
Weakness
Moving on to the difficulties I have had or encountered so far, different people have other ways of communicating. I find alpha males or dominant people intimidating. They are usually the type of people who are very single minded where they only accept their way of doing things. For example, during one of my lectures, I was in a group with two dominant guys. When I was confused and asked certain questions or put out an idea, it was not looked at or replied at all. There was always a power struggle as it was usually the popular people who were more dominating in the sense that their views are accepted while yours are brushed aside or they use your idea and say it as their own which is demeaning. 
Goal

What I hope to take away from Communications and interpersonal work communications is how to handle situations better and be able to work around the difficult people to handle and not let it affect me emotionally as it can be very draining for me from day to day when interacting with them almost everyday.

Comments

  1. Heya Zhen Yang,

    Your post could be better improved with some mild grammar corrections. While your content is fine, the way your sentences are structured leads to some odd pauses and a slightly awkward language flow. E.g. "My strengths in communication is being.... between myself and others". This is one sentence that carries on for a very long time, and has only one single comma placed in an odd spot. Both halves of the sentence also feel somewhat disconnected from each other, and you'd be better off breaking them into separate statements or elaborating on them differently.

    Another case is "Moving on to the difficulties I have had or encountered so far, different people have other ways of communicating." This is a sentence that doesn't contribute much. The paragraph talks about how you find interacting with more dominant people intimidating, but this first sentence is confusingly worded and has little to do with the rest of the paragraph. Likewise, other areas in the post stand to be improved upon by touching upon some minor issues.

    That aside, your content is pretty alright, and you have a good grasp of the assignment objectives. It just needs a bit of organization and touching up.

    - Merville Sin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Merville! I have looked at my grammer and improved it thanks for your feedback and I wish you the best for your assignment as well! Have a good weekend! Stay cool no matter how hot the weather gets~!

      Delete
  2. Hi Zhen Yang!

    Its good to hear that you would like to improve yourself by setting your goals! However, instead of knowing how to handle difficult situations, I would suggest that you try to understand in the perspective in the communicator. For example, I will try to understand the way he talks. Or if s/he seems to be very pushy, you may want to understand why is it so. Is the reason for his/her actions caused by his previous experiences? Or is it that he is not receptive to suggestions and does not want to discuss further? I think it will help you better by understanding the root of the problem, and in return, you will be able to handle situations better.
    Although, working is a group may have it's problems and disagreements, but lets always remember to see the positive light in everything. Disagreements will lead you to a greater success. But at the end of the day, each one have to take a step back, or the disagreements will not lead to any result.
    I hope that my little advice will help you in achieving your goal at the end of this trimester.
    All the best!

    -Lim Sing Yiing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts