Final Draft of First Post

Hello everyone, welcome to my blog! In this blog I hope to share with you some of the ideas which I have, and also hope to hear from you about yourself. Lets all enjoy our interactions together as we go through our Communications Module  150 in DigiPen Institute of Singapore.

Hi guys, I am Wee Zhen Yang. Today I am going to touch on the topic communication.

What is Communication?

Communication is a basic form of relating with others and expressing one’s views and opinions. There are many forms of communication. The various forms of communications are made even greater because of the various forms of media that are available. In the interpersonal domain, communications can be in form of verbal – consisting of spoken words, and nonverbal – consisting of gestures, eye contact, facial expressions or body language.

 My Strengths in Communication

 My strengths in communication are being able to read between the lines of what people say when they are talking to each other. I can sense emotions hidden within their words, may it be negative or positive. Knowing this, I would try to shift and adjust how to convey what I feel to them so as not to offend them or cause any conflict between myself and others. I also have good presentation skills. For example, I always establish eye contact when presenting to an audiences to show my interest in them, using an enthusiastic voice to liven the mood. I also prompt the audiences with thought provoking questions which makes them think of different alternatives and scenarios which could happen.

My Weakness in Communication

The difficulties I have had or encountered so far include meeting  and interacting with diverse types of people who have other ways of communicating that are different from my own. I find alpha males or dominant people intimidating. They are usually the type of people who are very single minded where they only accept their way of doing things. For example, during one of my lectures, I was in a group with two dominant guys. When I was confused and asked certain questions or raised an idea, it was not looked at favourably nor was the question replied to at all. There was always a power struggle as it was usually the popular people who were more dominant where their views are accepted while the view of others are brushed aside. Worse, some use the ideas which were thought of by other people, but some people claim it for themselves and say it as their own which is demeaning.

My Goals for the Module


What I hope to take away from Communications and interpersonal work communications is how to handle situations better and can work around difficult people. I would like to handle difficult people and not let it affect me emotionally as it can be very draining for me on a day to day basis. This allow me to sustain a healthy relationship even when there are projects to do together. 

Do drop me a message and let's keep in touch!
May the force be with you ~

Comments

  1. This blog post was well written, i cannot wait for the day for your presentation as i love questions which will induce thinking as I love critical thinking. Similarly, i dislike those who claim credit which does not belong to them so i feel you. Also, i feel that you are already doing a very good job in handling your relationship with your peers, so do not worry about it. Just for you to take into account, the yellow highlight and the word is too contrasting. Lastly, the video on your right sidebar is not aligned properly too,maybe you would like to change the above mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts